- To ensure children learn and remember artistic knowledge and skills.
- To allow children build on prior knowledge through a carefully sequenced and progressive curriculum.
- To inspire, engage and challenge pupils by equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment and create their own works of art.
- To ensure children develop a deeper understanding of art and design, exploring the impact it has on the contemporary life and that of different times and cultures.
- To ensure children are able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design.
- To ensure children know how art and design both reflect and shape our history and contribute to the future and creativity around the world.
- To give pupils the opportunity to study at least one artist in depth and provide children with artists linked to the strands of art that they are developing.
- To ensure children are encouraged to be reflective and evaluate their own work, thinking about how they can make changes and keep improving.
- To encourage children to take risks and experiment and then reflect on why some ideas and techniques are successful or not for a particular project.
- Staff will use research around cognitive science to help children learn and remember more.
- Staff will check understanding through spaced retrieval exercises.
- The subject leader will provide all staff with an art curriculum framework with planned cross curricular links and specific artists.
- Teaching and Learning will show progression across all key stages within the strands of Art and Design.
- Teaching and Learning should plan for a final piece of artwork to be displayed and shared.
- Art will be taught weekly in autumn 2, spring 2 and summer 2.
- Teachers will cover two strands of art during each term; ensuring that all six strands are covered over the year.
- Art will be assessed through termly focussed objectives based on the specific strands of art covered during the term.
- Pupils will be encouraged to research and explore other artists following their own preferences.
- Whole school art themed days.
- Showcase and share artwork around the school and in the local community.
- Visits and visitors to inspire and encourage pupils.
- Art and design homework tasks to encourage pupils to experiment and develop their interest in art.
- All teachers will be positive and passionate in the teaching of art and design.
- Children will be encouraged to explore the work of artists and use this as inspiration for their own creativity.