Our ethos and beliefs:
At Montalbo, we believe reading is the fundamental building blocks to everything that we learn. We understand the positive importance of daily reading and we strive to create a positive learning culture where reading is loved, enjoyed and part of everyday life. Our school ethos is embedded in our literacy curriculum and we endeavor in all that we do. We collaborate with each other to share ideas and learn from one another. We inspire each other, and the wider community, through our excellent writing skills, our developed knowledge of reading and our amazing Key Stage Performances.
- To ensure children learn and remember literacy knowledge.
- To allow children build on prior knowledge through a carefully sequenced and progressive curriculum.
- For all children to speak clearly, fluently and confidently
- For all children to communicate effectively, using talk to explore ideas, thoughts and feelings
- For all children to listen to and to respond to others
- For all children to have a love of reading which will last a life time
- For all children to be confident readers who read widely
- For all children to write creatively and imaginatively across a range of genres
- For all children to write for a variety of audiences and purposes
- For all children to write independently and with confidence
- Staff will use research around cognitive science to help children learn and remember more.
- Staff will check understanding through spaced retrieval exercises.
- A progression of skills and objectives built upon to ensure children will develop as readers and writers
- Daily lessons of reading and writing are taught explicitly to children with a focus on age appropriate objectives
- Daily explicit teaching of handwriting, spellings, phonics and grammar to build basic skills
- Daily opportunities provided for silent, independent reading
- Long term writing plan followed to ensure coverage of genres
- Read Write Inc spelling and grammar scheme used across Key Stage 2
- Recent training on developing Guided Reading
- Show case books implemented to demonstrate writing
- Class novels used across all KS2 classes to promote modelling for reading
- Library sessions in our school library
- Research skills using reading across the curriculum
- Regular library visits to encourage community links
- Visits to the Witham/theatre/Hub to provide enrichment experiences
- Visits from authors to promote a love of writing
- Writing for a real life purpose